Our Blog on All Things Mashup
Burning Man mixtapes – Black Rock City: Burn Night & Sunrise Set
I’ve been going to Burning Man since 1993, but didn’t start DJing there until 2006, when we finally got so sick of all the mind-numbingly generic and vocal-less “oonse-oonse” of trance, techno, and dubstep that we decided that instead of bitching about it, we’d just start throwing our own Bootie Mashup parties out in Black Rock City.
In the so-called “Default World,” our brand of pop mashups are definitely considered more on the mainstream side of things. But at an alternative arts festival like Burning Man? Playing pop music felt fucking subversive. Hell, when we started, just playing songs with vocals felt like the most underground thing we could do out there. We didn’t even need to explain to burners that we were doing “mashups.” All we had to say was that we were playing “MUSIC WITH WORDS!” That was enough of a “unique selling point” on the playa. What we ended up doing in BRC was quite different from the typical Burning Man party, and we quickly found our people.
While now we throw Bootie Mashup parties every day of the week at various camps around Black Rock City, the first few years we only did two nights — Fandango and Automatic Subconcious, better known as AutoSub. This group of mostly Boston-based burners somehow adopted our little mashup party as their flagship Friday night party, and over the years, it eventually became a dusk-till-dawn affair. In 2011, the party finally lasted till the sun came up, and I did my first sunrise set — a tradition that has remained ever since.
These two continuous-mix DJ sets represent two different vibes at Burning Man. The first is a typical “Burn Night” party set, watching the Man Burn from the top of an art car, with lots of celebratory mashups about dust and fire, and “we built this city.”
The second one is the early morning “Sunrise Set” comedown, as the sky starts to turn light, and the sun rises up over the mountains in the distance, as we all huddle and hug each other under the AutoSub dome in the chilled morning air.
And because this is MUSIC WITH WORDS, yes, the lyrics all mean something. Hope this gives you the same Burning Man vibes I got while making it. See you out on the playa! – Adriana A
Black Rock City: BURN NIGHT
Start this mix about 37 minutes before they start launching fireworks.
1. Lobsterdust – Stayin’ Hot (Nelly vs. Bee Gees)
2. Lobsterdust – Bring Your Own Luck (System Of A Down vs. Daft Punk)
3. Gaston – Cooler Bites The Dust (Queen vs. Crookers ft. Yelle)
4. Don Hector – I Love Celebrations (Icona Pop & Charli XCX vs. Kool & The Gang)
5. Elephante – Team (Lorde Remix)
6. DJ ShyBoy – Feel Good Feelings (James Brown vs. Flo Rida vs. Black Eyed Peas)
7. DJ Tripp – Just Got Enough Feeling (Black Eyed Peas vs. Depeche Mode)
8. DJ Schmolli – Only Imagine This City (Starship vs. David Guetta)
9. HavocNdeeD vs. Epidemic – Cities In Dust (Siouxsie & The Banshees Remix)
10. A Plus D – Planetary Fireworks (Katy Perry vs. My Chemical Romance)
11. Ayee – Light My Blue Monday Fire (New Order vs. The Doors)
12. DJs From Mars – It’s My Party, Rock This Life (Bon Jovi vs. Bob Sinclair)
13. Bobby Martini – Disco Life (The Trammps vs. Leftfield)
14. LeeDM101 – Womanizer On Fire (Kings of Leon vs. Britney Spears vs. Jason Nevins)
15. Kill_mR_DJ – Can’t Hold The Firestarters (Macklemore & Ryan Lewis vs. Prodigy vs. To Kool Chris vs. Busta Rhymes vs. The Trammps vs. Talking Heads)
16. ElectroSound – Girl On Fire With My Body (Alicia Keys vs. Lady Gaga)
17. Party Ben – Ooh La La Summer Nights (Olivia Newton-John & John Travolta vs. Wiseguys)
Black Rock City: SUNRISE SET
Check to see what time sunrise is, and then start this mix 35 minutes beforehand.
1. T-Mash – Stay On Night (Sean Kingston vs. Hayley Williams vs. David Guetta)
2. DJ Tripp – We Are On Fire (Adele vs. Fun.)
3. Divide & Kreate – Save the Streets (U2 vs. Swedish House Mafia)
4. Clinton Sparks – Closing Time (Semisonic Remix)
5. Titus Jones – Don’t Stop Believin’ In This Love On Earth (Lady Gaga vs. Belinda Carlisle vs. Journey vs. Madonna vs. Ke$ha vs. Bruno Mars)
6. The Reborn Identity – Girls Like You Don’t Stop (Fleetwood Mac vs. The Naked & Famous)
7. Whole C – Home (Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros Remix)
8. DJ Tripp – Celebrate Love (Rare Earth vs. Cobra Starship vs. Camille Yarbrough)
9. DJ Zebra – With A Little Help From Soulwax (Joe Cocker vs. Queen vs. Soulwax)
10. YITT – Here Comes The Light (Beatles vs. Green Day vs. System of a Down vs. Pilotpriest)
11. Ross Robertson & DJ Korma – It’s A Beautiful Day (Queen Remix)
12. The Kleptones – Lazy Dancer (Silversun Pickups vs. Yuksek)
13. Clive$ter – Heartbreaking Maps (Yeah Yeah Yeahs vs. Metronomy)
14. SgtMash – I’d Rather Be Nowhere (Clean Bandit ft. Jess Glynn vs. Xandra)
15. LeeDM101 – (Find Myself) A Heap of Love (Florence & The Machine vs. Depeche Mode vs. Imogen Heap)
16. DJ Cummerbund – Rock & Roll Until A Reasonable Hour (Kiss vs. Commodores)
17. Overdub – What A Wonderful Surprise (Radiohead vs. Louis Armstrong)
18. Kevin Blechdom with Dsico – Jon Whitney Houston (Whitney Houston Cover)